Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default PC Smoke Chapter 2

philo wrote:

On 05/06/2016 10:48 PM, Paul in Houston TX wrote:
philo wrote:
On 0

The total power of the supply is irrelevant as to the connector that
burned. The supply
only delivers what is called for.

More than likely the connector was not pushed in all the way, when the
drive was installed.

Otherwise it was loose pins

Yea, I agree. Should have made that clear in my post.

At any rate, thought I've seen burned or over-heated connections, I've
never seen one go up in smoke.

Another possibility is that the drive developed an internal short (maybe
blown power fet in the motor drive) and started drawing huge currents. The
connector ended up being the weakest link and burned up.

That is one of the dangers of putting insanely overpowered supplies in PCs.
Some people have 700+ W supplies in ordinary desktop systems that typically
draw less than 150 W. This is mostly due to sellers making a lot of money
over-selling stuff to people who don't know better.

Jon

Jon