Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.windows7.general
Andy[_39_] Andy[_39_] is offline

Default PC Smoke

As far as i know unless it was sold again first alert is owned or WAS OWNED
by kiddie

--
AL'S COMPUTERS
"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
On Fri, 6 May 2016 02:21:36 -0400, "Andy" wrote:

You are aware that first alert is owned by kiddie now right?

No, I wasn't aware of that. Looking at the Wikipedia page, First
Alert seems to be owned by Jarden Branded Consumables.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Alert
No mention of Kidde.

The Kidde page shows that they're part of UTC (United Technologies
Corporation) as UTC Fire & Security. No mention of First Alert.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidde

I don't have time right now to chase down the details, but it seems to
me that they're seperate and unrelated companies. Are you sure?

they put out units under each name and with varying prices.
just like most THINK FIREX is junk WRONG its also owned by kiddie.

Yep. Firex is part of Kiddie:
http://www.kidde.com/home-safety/en/us/about/Firex/
Looks like they're recommending total replacent of anything labeled
Firex.

As for the resistor it was a big one in a thousand watt gaming power
supply
and let me tell you between it buring up and the plastic around it from
the
heat it created it was a nice smoky mess

Ok, that's different. Big power can generate plenty of smoke. I
would expect a smoke alarm to respond fairly quickly to a "nice smoky
mess". You also won't need a vinyl hose "sniffer" to find the source.
Just look for the crater when the smoke clears.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D