Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob Penoyer Bob Penoyer is offline

Default Bosch Fixed Base Design Flaw

On Fri, 6 May 2016 08:27:38 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Not a design flaw, you are simply using a router that was intended to be
used in the traditional manner, not upside down. so you have to be
careful to not damage the router.

Well, I'm using a Bosch router motor with a Bosch fixed base in a
Bosch router table. Certainly, the Bosch engineers must have realized,
when they designed and marketed their router table, that their motor
and base would be used in the table. It's shown used that way on p.23
of this manual:
https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/ocs...MRP23MRC23.pdf

It's clear to me that the base was not designed to be used upside down
as it is in the router table. For that reason, I have to label the
weakness that I described as a design flaw.

What you should be using is one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Triton-TRA001-.../dp/B00779ND0Q

or any of these

https://www.finewoodworking.com/media/RouterTables.pdf

I will give these two links a careful review but I'd rather not have
to buy additional equipment.

Or use the plunge base for that router.

That would be a problem. I use the plunge base fairly often and
wouldn't want to have to remove and reinstall it in the table. The
fixed base is permanently installed in the table since I haven't
needed it for any other reason. Also, since the base is spring loaded,
it would be awkward to use upside down under the table.