Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Veneer Repair

Dave C wrote:
I intend to replace a built in, 20+ year old refrigerator. There is
currently a 3/8 inch (?) oak veener plywood panel, on an appearance
side of our current unit. Over thiose many years, some of that oak
veneer has developed a darker color. The oak veneer has remained well
"adhering", to the underlying base plywood panel.

Before installing the new refrig, I would like to refinish that oak
panel. I am sure that the veneer surface is real Thin ! Bbeing an over
20 years old panel, it may be thicker than current veneers?

Is there a best way to refinish veneer? I sure would prefer to keep
that existing panel, as that wood grain does closely match our
existing oak cabinets etc.

Thanks for any advise -dave

I kinda agree with Don Y that the darkening may be just crud. If it is,
naptha (lighter fluid) would remove it withott harming any finish. Ditto
paint thinner.

As mentioned, oxalic acid will bleach wood but any finish has to be removed
first but your veneer won't take much sanding. Time was that 1/16" was
standard veneer thickness but that was decades ago; now, 1/42" or less.

Other options include replacing the panel or adding new veneer to what is
there. Both options have "gotch yas": is the existing red or white oak?
They look different. Was the existing stained? Good luck matching the
color if so.

Additionally, adding new veneer on top of the old and it isn't hard...unless
you have never done it before. If you want to tey that, I'd suggest peel
and stick veneer , a piece large enough to cover the entire panel without
having to piece it together. Such can be had at Constantine's...

http://www.constantines.com/veneer.aspx