Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Document Storage

On 5/5/2016 12:11 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I find it is easier to use cash under $100 and not have to check charges on a
CC or bank statement. I used to use my debit card a lot and have to go through
the statement to be sure it balances. Far shorter now.

When I was younger, I paid cash for everything -- even my tuition at school!
But, I operated on a simpler money management scheme: "If I don't have the
cash WITH me, IN MY POCKET, RIGHT NOW, then I don't *need* whatever it is!"

And, as my "needs" are modest (even moreso, now), it was relatively easy to
decide that I'd have to go home to eat instead of picking up some fast food,
etc. Most days I leave the house with a few singles in my wallet. The
things that I am likely to NEED (that can't be deferred) are *gasoline*.
I don't NEED a can of soda, a greasy burger, a new pair of shoes, etc.
(If I WANT any of those things, then I'll plan for them!)

That's different when you're sharing accounts with another and have more
monies tied up in investments than liquid assets (which is far more common
than when younger). It's annoying to have to transfer ADDITIONAL funds simply
because you failed to SHARE the fact taht you were planning on spending
$500 for a CLASS this Spring while your counterpart was planning on
spending a similar amount on SUPPLIES. I.e., if we're going to need
$1000 for "extraordinary expenses", then lets arrange to have that
$1000 available instead of just the $500 you (or I) planned on.