Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Veneer Repair

On Thursday, May 5, 2016 at 12:45:13 PM UTC-4, Dave C wrote:
I intend to replace a built in, 20+ year old refrigerator. There is
currently a 3/8 inch (?) oak veener plywood panel, on an appearance
side of our current unit. Over thiose many years, some of that oak
veneer has developed a darker color. The oak veneer has remained well
"adhering", to the underlying base plywood panel.

Before installing the new refrig, I would like to refinish that oak
panel. I am sure that the veneer surface is real Thin ! Bbeing an over
20 years old panel, it may be thicker than current veneers?

Is there a best way to refinish veneer? I sure would prefer to keep
that existing panel, as that wood grain does closely match our
existing oak cabinets etc.

Thanks for any advise -dave

I would look for a new piece of veneer at HD, etc. I recently did
similar when replacing my ovens. I had to make a matching panel
and did it by buying oak veneer and staining it. I guess you could
try sanding and staining the existing veneer, IDK how well that
would work, but replacing it is a backup option.