Leonard Caillouet

Default how do I copy from DVD to DVD?

"MR_ED_of_Course" wrote in message
in article , DarkMatter at
wrote on 1/3/04 2:38 PM:

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 21:09:42 GMT, "luminos" Gave us:

This is true, and is definately not permitted by any interpretation of

the
DMCA. However, some interpretations of copyright law indicate that
copying tapes for time shifting purposes should be allowed (see
www.eff.org). You are supposed to destroy the copy after viewing the
time-shifted copy...as if anyone would do that.

There is NO such thing as a valid, legal time shifted copy of a
rented film.

If a light bulb were shown into one of your ears, it would show your
skull cavity to be luminous, because the damned thing is HOLLOW.

I love the way people here are stating not only what they think the law

is,
but what the law *will be* without any references whatsoever.

Unless you can cite a precedent for any of this, the fact of the matter is
that much of this is untested in the courts.

In regards to time-shifting a copy of a rented VHS tape, I'd really like

know under what basis this would be considered illegal. Specifically

where
do you draw the line under what constitutes time-shifting.

The bottom line is that the core of copyright law is to protect the

artists
and producers from fair income for their work. If someone rents a video,
copies it, returns it, and then only watches the copy once before erasing
it, how could you possibly prove any loss of income to the
artists/producers?

Renting it and keeping a copy is a totally different story.

So do you really believe that this person intended to erase the copy? Do
you think that horses can talk, too. Fair use is a pretty easy concept to
grasp if you have respect for what the copyright laws are about. No one
would really have a problem with time-shifting even for a rental if that's
what this were about. It clearly is not. The people who argue that copying
DVDs or any other copyrighted material is OK rarely do so within the context
of such limited use.

Leonard Caillouet

--
....I'd like to find you inner child and kick its little ass. Get over it...
(The Eagles)