Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.windows7.general
Andy[_39_] Andy[_39_] is offline

Default PC Smoke

Interesting facts wrong but its ok
most good smoke detectors like first alert the only brand i use i have the
combo detector both ionization and photoelectric hard wired with battery
back up unit.
But even my battery only ionization unit that is directly over the pc went
off once when a test power supply blew a resistor and the smoke set it off
before i could even get to the window to open it to vent the smoke out of
the room
how fast they react ALL DEPENDS on 2 Things AGE OF UNIT all units should be
replaced EVERY 10 YEARS. in fact in my state and city it's a code
requirement.
Second is brand of unit if you get the cheap 8 dollar one at the dollar
store yes it wont react as good as the brand name first alert that costs you
20 or more dollars.
that is a proven fact.
But the 8 dollar one will go off if you boil water on the stove the better
unit wont

--
AL'S COMPUTERS
"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 May 2016 15:48:55 +1000, Maurice Helwig
wrote:

Check the smoke Detectors in your house. with that much smoke they
should have gone off.

It's not the quantity of smoke, it's how long the PC continues to
smoke that makes household detectors go off. I have a smoke detector
in my office and home shop. Neither has ever been triggered by
transcient smoke signals. Figure on about 15 minutes for ionization
and 3 minutes for photoelectric:
http://whnt.com/2012/07/16/smoke-detector-fail-a-taking-action-investigation/
Anyway, a smoke detector is useless for finding the source of the
smoke, such as a hot component in the PC. For that, you would need a
smoke locator such as an IR camera.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D