Posted to alt.os.linux,alt.windows7.general,sci.electronics.repair
Max Muller Max Muller is offline

Default IBM W510 Fan Error FRUNO: 60Y5493 P/N: 60Y4981

On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 15:21:10 +0100, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

The FRU number (field replaceable unit, IBM-speak for part) is the one you
want.

It seems the FRU contains both the heatsink and the fan itself,
where I can't imagine anything going wrong with the heatsink.

I may try to disassemble the fan and lubricate it as this guy does:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lxvmay2tn0

What I like about this video is that he shows what a good and bad
fan spin rate is when you push it with your finger. Mine is more
like the bad fan than the good fan.

In the videeo, the guy uses alcohol to clean the metal shaft of
the fan and he also cleans the hole.

He says the lubricant only lasts a month, so it's important to
figure out what's a good lubricant.