Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Fluke 8060a meter interconnect strip

On Wed, 4 May 2016 17:59:53 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

I have seen references to mixing IPA and acetone 50/50 to do some PC
board cleaning. Any thing good or bad about doing that ?

No. Bad idea. Don't do that.

Acetone will attack many plastics (ABS, polycarbonate, polystyrene,
polyethylene, vinyl, etc). Before you use ANY manner of solvent, do
some research on a "chemical compatibility chart" for the materials
you expect to be using.
https://capolight.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/solvent_compatibility.jpg
Be sure to check compatibility with epoxy, as that's what the PCB is
made from.

For example:
http://www.coleparmer.com/Chemical-Resistance
shows that:
ABS plastic and acetone = "Severe Effect"
ABS plastic and 50% acetone and water = "Severe Effect"

Also, I guess I should mention that there are many different types of
alcohols (amyl, benzyl, butyl, diacetone, ethyl, hexyl, ibsbutyl,
methyl, octyl, propyl, etc). Characteristics vary so don't assume
that some random alcohol is safe just because isopropyl alcohol didn't
destroy some plastic. I had to learn that lesson when I switched to
the "alcohol" sold by the local hardware store, and found it far more
aggressive than the 91% drug store variety.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D