Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Fluke 8060a meter interconnect strip

On Wed, 4 May 2016 10:23:09 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I removed the switch assy, the main IC socket, and the variable capacitors from the board. Several rounds of 91% IPA bathing has not cleaned the sticky electrolyte off the board, except where I could get an acid brush in to scrub. Two remaining options are to remove every other part off the board and scrub with a fiber brush or go to a more aggressive cleaner. I'm going with option two and see what happens.
John

Older electrolytic capacitors used ethylene glycol and boric acid for
electrolyte. Later versions used dimethylformamide,
dimethylacetamide, or butyrolactone. If you look these up on
Wikipedia, the table on the right includes solubility:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethylene_glycol
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethylacetamide
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethylformamide
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma-Butyrolactone
I would try detergent and water first, followed by a distilled or
deoinized water rinse. If that fails, start up the ladder of
chlorinated hydrocarbon solvents, starting with alcohol. I wouldn't
go much past trichlorethane or trichlorethylene which will probably
peel off the PCB printing, labels, and maybe the silk screening. Some
of these will also attack the epoxy that holds the PCB together. Be
careful and good luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558