Tim Pollard

Default Preventing a fireplace filling room with smoke

Hello

I am new to this group but I'm hoping some fireplace expert can point
me in the right direction with a solution to a problem with my new
fireplace.

I recently extended my living room which would have resulted in my
existing fireplace being off centre. To solve this, my builders
blocked up the old fireplace and made a new opening in the new centre
of the wall, joining this to the existing chimney about 2 metres up.
The chimney is a 30s unlined one. The connection beteween fireplace
and chimney is by a clay flue pipe. The displacement (ie. amount the
fireplace was moved) is about 1.25m.

Now the old fireplace drew perfectly - except it was a 70s built rough
stone horror (just like my granny had in her bungalow built in 1972).
The new one has only been used once, but a small proportion of the
smoke 'leaked out' into the room, making its use a bit untenable! It
wasn't enough to suggest that the chimney was blocked, but rather that
the chimney wasn't drawing as well as it had.

I suspect that the problem comes from a number of factors:

- The opening is taller than it was, so there is a bigger gap between
grate and flue. The builders made a brick insert in the shape of a
gothic arch, 85cm high by 58 wide, 35 deep. The old opening was lower
- around 70cm, I think.

- The clay pipe is roughly 25cm x 25cm, which I suspect is less than
the old one (but I have to be honest and admit that I never did stick
my head up the old opening).

- There is now a bend in the flue which (maybe) reduces the draw
efficiency.

Can anyone tell me what is likely to be the problem and how I should
solve it? I had wondered whether buying a hood to reduce the distance
between the fire and the effective top of the opening would help? If
so, does anyone know where I can get one in the South London (Croydon)
area?

When I'm feeling brave I intend to try putting the grate up on bricks,
to see if raising it closer to the top of the opening will improve
things. Sensible or just a license to smoke some people?!

Any other ideas would be most welcome!

Tim P