Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Alternative to Tub Surrounds

On 5/4/2016 11:31 AM, wrote:

Since that time, I replaced the sheetrock, and the tub, and just painted
the walls. Since I rarely use the shower, and prefer baths, this is not
a big problem. However, I have been looking for something to put on
those walls which not only looks nicer, but there's a good chance a
relative will be moving in here, and they like showers.

Ceramic tile seems to be the next most used wall covering, and I think
it's a lot nicer looking than tub surrounds, and if the tub ever needs
to be removed, only the bottom row of the tile needs to be removed, and
they can be removed without destroying the whole wall. However, I recall
my father having to constantly re-do the grout in his bathroom when I
was younger, and how that grout gets real ugly from mildew, and it just
seems like a high maintenance thing I'd rather not have to deal with.

Times have changed. Grout has changed. There are epoxy grouts now that
never need sealing, never need to be done again. There are urethane
grouts but I have no experience with them.

We remodeled both bathrooms and have ceramic tile on the floor and walls
and it is really nice. Easy to keep clean. After a shower you just
squeegee the tile wall and it look as if it was when new two years ago
when we did it. The grout finish is smoother than the older sand grouts
and does not get the ugly mildew at all.

In our case we don't use the tub so we took it out and made a 60" shower
with glass door.