Posted to alt.os.linux,alt.windows7.general,sci.electronics.repair
Max Muller Max Muller is offline

Default IBM W510 Fan Error FRUNO: 60Y5493 P/N: 60Y4981

On Thu, 28 Apr 2016 09:10:26 -0600, Buffalo wrote:

Not sure what voltage the fan runs at, but you could try to feed temp
feed power to it for a second or two to see if it is the fan that is bad
or the power to it, since that unit is fairly expensive.
Disconnect and reconnect the fan connector several times to make sure the
connection is good. Doing so, burnishes the contacts some to help ensure a
better connection.

The sticker on the unit says the fan+heatsink is FRU 60Y5493 (Lenovo P/N 60Y4981).

The fan is working at the moment but only at around 2500 RPM according to
the psensor graphical command (and I can hear it moving but not objectionably):
http://i.cubeupload.com/UYj76M.gif

I can see the fan spin now (before it wasn't spinning) because I have the
keyboard off:
http://i.cubeupload.com/BFVO2s.gif

Jason mentioned I might be able to just buy the fan since nothing should
be wrong with the heatsink.
http://cubeupload.com/im/OLuYlU.gif

Do you think the fan can be easily purchased alone?
Do you think swapping out just the fan (and not the heatsink) is feasible?