Posted to alt.os.linux,alt.windows7.general,sci.electronics.repair
Max Muller Max Muller is offline

Default IBM W510 Fan Error FRUNO: 60Y5493 P/N: 60Y4981

On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 11:35:08 +0000, Jasen Betts wrote:

The fan in my T400 gave up and I got a replacement for like $5 on
aliexpress, I should have paid $8 and got the fan-heatsink asembly as
replacing the fan only was tricky, and my repair was imperfect. looks like
your one's a bit more expensive.

looks like your fan is $8 but the heatsink assembly is $33 I'd be tempted
to try replacing just the fan, and if that fixes the the problem but goes
badly due to a fumble replace the whole thing.

The backlight in my T400 gave out shortly after the fan and I fumbled the
inverter card and blew out the controller on the main board so I just use
it as a stationary computer now.

Sorry I haven't responded but I haven't had much progress until today.

I left the laptop in the freezer, with cloth around it and a plastic bag
to keep out the moisture, and then I was able to boot it.

The fan is spinning at about 2350 RPM according to the psensor command,
but I don't know if that's the right speed or not because I had never
checked before.

But at least the fan is now spinning (before it wasn't spinning which I
can see because I popped the keyboard out).

Is there a way to "lubricate" the fan bearings?