Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default What the heck goes into the trash can (as opposed to recycling?)

Arthur,

We are required to have our septic system inspected every three years,
but I haven't had to pump my septic tank since 1999. Even then it wasn't
really needed, they just pumped out of routine when the inspection
program was started.

So, how do they "inspect" it anyway?

I have to dig down and expose the access cover of the septic tank. I think
the inspector will dig it up, but I know exactly where it is located.
Thankfully, the top of my septic tank is only 6" below the ground.

They open the cover and use a pole with a board on it to take measurements.
They measure the sludge build up at the bottom of the tank, and the scum
layer floating on top. They also do a quick visual inspection of the drain
field, to make sure it's not a smelly swamp or something. Takes them less
than 10 minutes, then they charge me $125.

If the scum or sludge layers build up too close to the inlet pipe, they are
required to pump the tank. Naturally, the cost goes way up if they have to
pump.

When the county first started the inspection program here, they just
routinely pumped the tanks every few years.

Then they switched to actually measuring the contents and only pumping when
needed. Initially, they allowed homeowners to take the measurements, but I
don't know if they allow that anymore.

We're actually due for our septic inspection next month.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com