Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.windows7.general
philo philo is offline

Default PC Smoke

On 05/03/2016 04:27 PM, Clifford Heath wrote:
On 04/05/16 07:57, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 3 May 2016 11:43:52 -0700, OG wrote:

There a sound level detectors for locating sound.
There are infrared detectors for location heat.
There are volt meters for detecting voltages.
There are scopes for detecting waveforms.

Are there smell detectors for locating burned components?

Yes. I had the displeasure of locating the source of a burning smell
among a collection of immovable servers in a server farm. To make
matters worse, there was lots of cooling air flow to disperse the
smell. If there was any smoke, I couldn't see it.
So, I stuck a clear vinyl hose in my nose, and waved the other end of
the hose around

A vinyl tube in the ear is the best way of locating strange noises in
your car's engine bay too.

yep that's the old trick I used to balance the dual SU carburetors on my
'59 Triumph