Posted to alt.home.repair
Arthur Cresswell Arthur Cresswell is offline

Default What the heck goes into the trash can (as opposed torecycling?)

Steve Stone wrote on Tue, 03 May 2016 07:28:41 -0400:

Every time you rinse out a food container that residue is going into
your septic or sewer system, which in my case with a septic system needs
to be pumped out and disposed of in a sanitary manner every few years.
In my case that is about $250 per honey wagon load.

I always wondered about that.

I am in hill country so the septic system is down hill by a lot.
I don't know how far, but I see a white pipe sticking up which is
about 100 feet from the house.

I don't know where the cleanout is even and I've lived here a decade.

I guess I'm not doing something that I should be doing, but how would
I even know that my septic system would need to be pumped out if I don't
even know where it is completely or where the drain is?

I realize that if it stunk and weeped I'd know that, but I think,
given it's on a steep slope, the chance of that happening seems slim.

How would I even test that my septic is getting close to being filled?