Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default What the heck goes into the trash can (as opposed to recycling?)

On 5/3/2016 1:44 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 05/03/2016 09:37 AM, HerHusband wrote:

That's one of the reasons I like building my own computers. I only
replace the parts that need updating, such as a hard drive or graphics
card. Other than my laptop, I haven't bought a packaged PC in over 20
years.

Recently, my biggest computer failed. It was the power supply, and replacing
that fixed it.

I repair the power supply. Many ofmy machines have "special" power
supplies. E.g., the power supply for my SB2000 is about the size
of most tower computers:
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0989/9318/products/sun-300-1357-power-supply_large.jpeg?v=1457729732
http://www.recycledgoods.com/media/extendware/ewimageopt/media/inline/5f/3/sun-blade-2000-usparc-iii-cu-900mhz-p-n-600-7926-02-b4b.jpg
The power supplies in my FX160's (of which I grow fonder with each
passing day!) is about the size of an egg roll.
https://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-r4tr0/products/166331/images/243515/3608Large__97042.1457122331.380.500.jpg?c=2
etc. Oddball sizes/shapes and power capabilities.

A lot of people would have had to replace the whole thing (and
create more trash) and spend a few hours reinstalling everything (or actually a
few days of weeks waiting for someone else to do it), and possibly complaining
about the lack of backups.

For me to move to a new computer (even keeping the same OS) is a major
headache reinstalling applications -- AFTER sorting out the drivers
for the new box. I.e., building my three Windows workstations
(multimedia, document prep, eCAD) took the better part of two weeks
just to install all the software and sort out licensing issues.

I don't lightly contemplate "upgrades" unless I can see at least a
4-5X improvement (in "something")

We have curbside recycling on Thursday, and sometimes the pickup is late. I
will look through the mail while standing next to the recycle bin. Most of it
goes directly in there.

We have one of those gi-normous bins on wheels about the size of the
regular trash bin. As we don't generate much "waste" (recyclable or
otherwise), it often sits for several weeks before we've enough to
make it worth the effort to drag to the curb (silly to force the truck
to make a stop just to pick up 1/4 of a container full of material!).
Trash, OTOH, goes out each week even if 1/10th of a container full.

Especially in the hotter weather!