Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What the heck goes into the trash can (as opposed to recycling?)

On 05/03/2016 09:37 AM, HerHusband wrote:

[snip]

That's one of the reasons I like building my own computers. I only
replace the parts that need updating, such as a hard drive or graphics
card. Other than my laptop, I haven't bought a packaged PC in over 20
years.

Recently, my biggest computer failed. It was the power supply, and
replacing that fixed it. A lot of people would have had to replace the
whole thing (and create more trash) and spend a few hours reinstalling
everything (or actually a few days of weeks waiting for someone else to
do it), and possibly complaining about the lack of backups.

BTW, I'm thinking of the neighbor who became an unwilling victim of
Windows 10.

In most cases, I've been able to sell my old motherboards and other
computer parts on eBay.

I have sold some too (including my first "PC", with a 8088-compatible
V20 processor and 30MB hard disk that won't work with Windows).

[snip]

We have curbside recycling on Thursday, and sometimes the pickup is
late. I will look through the mail while standing next to the recycle
bin. Most of it goes directly in there.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"I think the Zapruder film was arranged [by] Jesus, so that this
particular 'terrible head wound' would be seen by the whole word for
over 3 decades." [John Prewett, net.fundie.idiot]