Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default lead free solder

"N_Cook" wrote in message
On 03/05/2016 13:25, wrote:
On Monday, May 2, 2016 at 2:09:22 PM UTC-4, Ian Field wrote:
wrote in message
On Saturday, April 30, 2016 at 2:00:53 PM UTC-4, Jon Elson wrote:
Ralph Mowery wrote:

As it is just for my own use at home I am not worried about the legal
Rohs part.
OK, just for your own use, you can do repairs with PbSn solder on
assemblies
made originally with Pb free. I do this all the time, never had a
problem.

Me too, the amalgamate talk makes me wonder though.

Reworking lead free with 60/40 sometimes gives a grainy finish that
looks
even more dodgy than the original lead free.

When I was in TV repair, most Asian manufacturers had converted before
most
people in the UK had even heard of RoHS. (but it took the Asian
manufacturers a lot longer to get it right).

My introduction to lead free solder was a steady stream of TVs with
bizzare
random faults that defied any attempt at logical diagnosis - going over
the
soldering fixed them as if by magic.

With Hitachi sets; you could push down on a component and the whole
solder
fillet would detach from the other side, that revealed a thin black
layer of
oxide on the copper.

On Sony sets; the solder looked as good as lead free ever can - but
going
over the soldering fixed over 90% of all faults.

During that time I routinely used 60/40 - I didn't get many bounced
repairs,
and not many of those had anything to do with solder.

Thanks Ian, I'm a bit confused by your response though.
It's starts by saying 60/40 on lead free is dodgy,
and ends by saying you had few problems when using it.

George H.

60/40 on lead free is dodgy, PbF is dodgey, PbF on PbF is dodgey, SAC on
PbF is dodgey, you do your own thing with fingers crossed and monitor for
bouncers over the next few years.

They do seem to be getting better at lead free - at one point, the bulk of
TVs going to landfill increased five-fold because of dodgy soldering. They
are gradually getting that figure down a bit.

Apart from the fact that manufacturing was taking lead out of the
environment and binding into a relatively stable alloy - what difference is
RoHS going to make with rain and hail lashed lead roofs running into the
water table. There's been about 100 yrs of the landed gentry peppering
agricultural land with lead shot. They're most unlikely to have got all the
lead pipes that were used upto the 50s - in the UK; they're still
discovering Roman lead water ducting.

The other side of the coin was lead in petrol - the petrochemical industry
lead procurement was in tons, and the number had a lot of noughts on the
end. That lead was being pumped in the air as particulates for us all to
breathe.