Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What the heck goes into the trash can (as opposed to recycling?)

On Tuesday, May 3, 2016 at 7:26:52 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, May 3, 2016 at 7:28:48 AM UTC-4, Steve Stone wrote:
Every time you rinse out a food container that residue is going into
your septic or sewer system, which in my case with a septic system needs
to be pumped out and disposed of in a sanitary manner every few years.
In my case that is about $250 per honey wagon load.

And typically you need to use hot water and even soap to get
it clean. Mayonnaise is one of the worst. If it's bad enough,
I'll just toss it in with the garbage instead of wasting time
and energy to clean it. You have to wonder about the economics
and environmental impact of having to clean those hard to clean
things. I know people who clean even a can or jar until it's
spotless. If you go down to the township facility where they
accept stuff you bring in, they have a giant dumpster for the
recyclables and OMG, what a mess. It's obvious a lot of people
aren't cleaning up anything. But even when I tell people what
it looks like there, they still want to run the hot water to
make every bottle and can shiny.

At home, I always rinsed out any can or jar with hot water and a drop of soap before tossing it into the kitchen trashcan. This starved the roaches or made the container suitable for storing nuts and bolts. A crumb will feed a roach family for a month so if there's no food, there's nothing to attract the creepy little *******s. It also decreases the need for insecticide or roach traps. I don't like to find roaches or ants all over the kitchen. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Roach Monster