Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What the heck -- waste motor oil

On Tue, 03 May 2016 05:46:37 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Tue, 3 May 2016 02:52:49 -0000 (UTC), Arthur Cresswell
wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote on Mon, 02 May 2016 21:12:38 -0400:

One auto repair garage near me (well, thinking some more, can think of a
second one) burns waste motor oil for heat in the winter. I get my oil
changes there. On the rare moments I have waste oil, I do bring it there
when the jug is full.

Really. They burn waste motor oil?
I would think that it's a carcinogen.
WHo knows what is dissolved in the waste motor oil?

Lots' of petroleum by products I would think.
Doesn't seem to me to be a good thing to burn, but, I guess if the heat
is high enough, everything is incinerated.

Our town heats the garage with waste oil. One of the biggest users of
waste oil is Safety Kleen. They charge you to take it away and burn
it as fuel in a plant that makes concrete in large kilns.

Remember a few years back the big deal with PCBs in electric
transformers? It is a carcinogen but to get rid of it safely it is
burned.

Safety Kleen in Breslau Ontario re-refines used oil, producing "new"
engine oil.

Burning PCBs is only possible at very high temperatures - like the
temperatures Lime kilns burn at.