Posted to alt.home.repair
Arthur Cresswell Arthur Cresswell is offline

Default What the heck goes into the trash can (as opposed torecycling?)

Mike Duffy wrote on Mon, 02 May 2016 20:13:04 -0400:

Is there a problem with the lid on your gargabe container?

That's a good point. Our trash bins are well made so the lid keeps
animals out. Some people bungee cord them, but very few do.

There is only one hole which is where an aluminum bar goes through
them around the middle (I think for the truck to latch onto), so they
could hold water if it weren't for that middle bar.

Some might say that you are using the taxes of others to subsidise your
disproportionate use of the operational capacity of the water treatment
plant.

There is an old joke that some people can afford to waste other people's
resources!

In practice, it is more complicated, because in some places, the sewage
plant captures the methane produced, and are actually designed with
garbage disposals in mind. Also, less fuel is consumed carrying the
waste to the dump. If your community incinerates garbage it will incur
an extra environmental cost as well.

We are on septic so sewage isn't a concern.

A lot depends on how expensive water is in your community, and how much
soap and hot water you use to prevent grease build-up.

We are on a well, so the only cost for water is the electricity to pump
it out.