Posted to alt.home.repair
Arthur Cresswell Arthur Cresswell is offline

Default What the heck goes into the trash can (as opposed torecycling?)

Don Y wrote on Mon, 02 May 2016 15:36:19 -0700:

We don't have a compost pile as it leads to "unwanted critters" in the
yard. So, any food waste goes into the trash (in sealed bags).

Everyone says I'm going to get "rodents" (specifically "rats"), but,
if I'm getting them, I don't see 'em. I see coyotes. I see rabbits.
I see quail. Deer. Bobcat. Chipmunks. Lots of birds. But no rats.

Only certain containers are recyclable, here. If the container has a
lid, it does NOT get rinsed -- the recycling facility can more
efficiently rinse (and recycle the water!) than we can (we live in the
desert; how you use water is something you think about consciously).

We don't have to rinse the food containers either.
But we do anyway.

(credit card offers, financial statements, etc.). These get shredded
(confetti-cut) and the bags of confetti get placed in with the recycles.
We also recycle a fair bit of cardboard.

Good point on the information leakage.
I have a shredder.
Now if you can help me get the wife and kids to *use* it, I'd be
thankful.

I recycle a *lot* of electronic gear. But, do so via appropriate venues
(electronics are considered a form of hazardous waste, here).

In truth, I "recycle" my electronic waste at the "Goodwill" drop off.

Bathroom waste we treat as food waste. It wants to be disposed, not
recycled.

Yeah, but what is in the waste bin in a bathroom?
I find bottles of shampoo and tissues and q tips and hair nets and
cardboard hair coloring, etc.

All of which is recyclable.