Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default What the heck goes into the trash can (as opposed to recycling?)

Hi Arthur,

1. Everything that is "food" gets composted

We try not to buy more food than we'll actually use, so any food waste
(carrot tops, banana peels, expired condiments, etc.) is minimal. We
don't produce enough food waste to bother with composting, and our
waistlines prove it.

2. Every "container" containing food is rinsed out

Our recycling service is VERY picky about what they will accept. Basic
stuff like tin cans, cereal boxes, jars, and PET soft drink bottles are
fine.

However, they don't want food soiled boxes, frozen food boxes, or those
plastic clamshell packages like you get from the bakery. It's unfortunate
considering many of these are made of the same material as the ones they
do accept. We could recycle a lot more if they would take them, but they
have to go in the trash.

Plastic bags from the grocery store get taken back to the grocery store
for recycling.

4. I almost never have electronic waste (once or twice a year?)

I have very little electronic waste, but when I do I take it to the
recycling center.

I've switched to Eneloop rechargeable batteries for most electronics, so
I rarely have batteries to deal with. However, when I replace batteries
in my UPS I take the old ones to the recycling center.

Our local Home Depot takes old CFL bulbs, and a local hardware store
takes the larger fluorescent tubes.

5. About the only place there is anything even remotely resembling
"trash" is the bathroom. But even there, all biologically soiled
tissues go down the toilet

We're on a septic system, so nothing but toilet paper and human waste
goes down our toilet.

8. Of course, all yard waste would go into the green landscaping
bins, so, let's not even discuss leaves and branches here.

We have two forested acres so any yard waste just gets tossed into the
"wild" areas to decompose over time. Natural composting.

10. Motor oil is a separate thing, which happens two or three times
a year, as do tires and mechanical parts, all of which are
recycled in their own way already (e.g., tires go to Costco
while motor oil goes in jugs set alongside the trash bins).

I take motor oil to the recycler once or twice a year, along with other
used car chemicals (coolant, brake fluid, old paint, etc.).

Tire shops recycle our old tires when we buy new tires.

Large metal parts like hoods or doors go to the metal recycler.

So, given that my brown trash bin is never used, what on earth do
people *put* in their trash bin, that can't be recycled otherwise?

- Plywood scraps, composites, and pressure treated lumber.

- Rags or paper towels soiled with paint or chemicals.

- Small car parts like air filters, spark plugs, alternators, light
bulbs, switches, etc.

- Clothing that is not good enough to take to Goodwill (torn jeans,
underwear, socks, etc.). Our recycler doesn't accept clothing.

- Mixed packaging materials like bubble envelopes.

- All bathroom waste. Tissues, Q-tips, floss, etc.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com