Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default lead free solder

In article ,
says...

Last time I checked - RCA had been taken over by the French Thomson firm.

Last Hitachi I looked inside; the innards were made by the Turkish Vestel
company - while researching servicing info; I learned that quite a few big
name manufacturers stick their badge on the very same chassis I found.

That is one big problem for me. I never know who or where anything is
really made. I was repairing some CB radios for friends around 1970 and
found even then the same insides were put into different cabinets for
different brands. Sometimes even the same color wires were used.

The Brand names are often sold and moved to a different country so the
quality may or may not be worse.

Sometimes it gets as bad as the Jeep. From what I heard you almost need
to know the day it was made to find out what kind of engine or
transmission was used in it.