Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Paintedcow@unlisted.moo is offline

Default (OT) Portable USB drive (makes no sense)

On Mon, 2 May 2016 06:30:44 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

However there is one peculiar thing, which makes no sense. The driver
for it, is *ON* the drive. So, if I actually needed the driver, how the
heck can I get to it. That's pretty stupid.

I think the computer is able to READ and WRITE the USB drive without the driver.
It already knows how to talk to USB.

The driver on the USB drive probably enables "extra features" like encyption or other
stuff you may not want to use anyway. But if you wanted those extra features, you
would need the driver.

I found that on XP it just works. But on Win2000, I would have to go
thru the "install new hardware" routine every time I plugged it in. I
installed the driver for Win2000, and now I can just plug it in and go.
That software said it's only for Vista and higher, but that driver
worked fine on Win2000. Win98 cant read that drive no matter what,
because it's NTFS formatted, and I doubt I could format it to FAT32 due
to it;s size. (Or would have to have multiple partitions).