Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bruce[_17_] Bruce[_17_] is offline

Default [OT] Wordperfect and other older progs

On 2016-05-02 17:44:14 +0000, Tim Streater said:

In article , Dave W
wrote:

"Steve Walker" wrote in message
On 01/05/2016 11:54, News wrote:
That reminds me of when the company I was working at switched from
Wordperfect to Word in the mid nineties. We had a large number of S20
data sheets (instrument specifications) in WP format. As they were a
standard ISA (Instrument Society of America) sheet, the automatic page
numbering was 1/3 of the way down the sheet, not in the header or
footer. We discovered that WP docs imported into Word worked perfectly,
but we couldn't create new sheets in this long established format, as
Microsoft never considered that you'd want a page number anywhere but
in the header or footer and didn't give an option to place one
elsewhere!

In a Word footer a field code {page} gets displayed as the page number.
You can actually add a text box anywhere on the page, containing
{page}, as part of the footer but outside the footer area instead of
inside. The page number will be displayed where you put it.

Can I get the page number of *another* page displayed on a page? So
that I can say (f'rinstance) "See Page 27 for more details" and the 27
updates automatically if it changes?

That is effectively what the contents list function does so I am sure
it is possible with a bit of research.