Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Carly Fiorina

On Sunday, May 1, 2016 at 3:52:22 PM UTC-4, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 30 Apr 2016 18:13:25 -0700, T wrote:

Link to criminal activity, Todd? Get back to me. About some evil
empire she ran or what.

When Carly was at Lucent, she had Lucent self funding sales,
then listing the sales to her stockholders without
also listing the liability from the loans. She basically
cooked the books. A lot of people made investment decisions
based on her cooked books and lost their shirts.

Was it condoned and approved by the board members?

Not only that, what he says is untrue. The Fortune reference that he
provided says that the eqpt loans Lucent made to it's customers were
on the financials as assets. Fortune seems to not understand accounting,
they imply that something is wrong with that. In fact, those loads are
assets and have to be reported as such. What would be improper would be
if they did not note that those loans were to their customers, that they
carried risk, etc. I'll bet you if one pulls up the 10K's that notation
is in there. Very standard and it would be unusual for a major accounting
firm doing Lucent's reports to not so note it.

Plenty of people lost money when the tech bubble burst. I did. Do you
think is was just Lucent stock that had the bottom fall out?

+1

The Fortune article freely admits that Lucent's competitors were also
financing eqpt loans. And you're right, the tech bubble bursting was
what was disasterous for Lucent, not the loans. The demand for much
of what they build, switches, fiber eqpt, just disappeared overnight.
In fact, the late 90s was the peak of the old telecom business, which
Lucent ruled. People were still buying modems, getting second phone
lines installed, and the Telco's were ordering 5ESS central office
switches and such to support it in droves. And then the merry go
round stopped.

I moved to real estate, later took my money and laughed on the way to
the bank. Then that bubble burst

I think you give Carly to much credit for power, for one woman in a
powerful position.

+1

I don't think she's some business genius, but I don't think she's
incompetent either.