Posted to alt.home.repair
Retired[_2_] Retired[_2_] is offline

Default (OT) Portable USB drive (makes no sense)

On 5/2/16 6:26 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 1 May 2016 22:28:29 -0400, John Albert
wrote:

On 5/1/16 7:31 PM,
wrote:
This drive is also for Macintosh. I thought a Mac computer requires a
different drive format. That's even more puzzling!

The standard "Mac format" is called HFS+, but that cannot be
read/written to on Windows machines without special software.

The Mac OS, however, -can- read/write at least some Windows formats (and
can read some others).

It makes sense to have a copy of the disk drivers "on the drive itself".
The idea is that:
- you plug it into the computer
- computer queries connection, discovers drive, loads drivers
- drive mounts on desktop and is ready for use...

The drive is NTFS. Will a Mac read that?

I left the driver on the drive, but removed all the extra software. I
did zip it and save a copy on a flash drive just in case it's needed.

I don't know the how and why of it, but I use a flash drive to move
files between a Mac mini w/ El Capitan, and a Win 7 laptop all the
time. (.jpg, .xls, .doc )

If you have a Mac and a Win machine, try it.