Posted to uk.d-i-y
Davey Davey is offline

Default Old Farm Engines

On Sat, 30 Apr 2016 10:34:32 -0700 (PDT)
Weatherlawyer wrote:

Tis the time of year for ye visitation of steam and diesel traction
displays. Looking some up on line, it occurred to me that the average
lawn mower has more oomph than that lot had in the goode olde daies.

How much would be done around a farm with 5 horse power?
I just realised whilst writing this, that in the days of horse power,
5-Hp was quite a tidy investment.

I can remember a small-hold neighbour, now long dead, who had a
petrol starting TVO tractor some 35 years ago. Even then it was a
relic. But he also used a Victorian looking hand pump to get water
out of his well.

Any idea how much horse power that old TVO represented?

Try this place, in Iowa. I went to one of the Open Days back in 1978,
and there were about 100 working Traction Engines, and 500 stationary
engines in a field, it was great fun!

http://www.oldthreshers.org/

East Anglia, back in the UK, has a gathering at Henham Hall in
September.
http://www.henhamsteamrally.com/

--
Davey.