Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer Weatherlawyer is offline

Default True cost of "filling" an electric car?

On Friday, 1 April 2016 13:33:59 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
JoeJoe wrote:
Just saw the launch of the new Tesla car, and at a claimed 215m to a
charge, I can see myself perhaps being persuaded to consider the
technology at some stage in the not near or medium future.

I have seen quite a few charging points (or whatever they are called) -
in most large European cities. I assume that the cost of a charge is set
so that it would be marginally lower to run such cars compared to
petrol/diesel cars.

But what would be a rough estimate for the true cost of a charge (i.e.
when done at home)?

You need to factor in the price of the batteries too as these are service
items. Some makers actually hire them to you for a monthly rental - so
that is part of the fuel costs that so many choose to ignore when talking
about running costs.

What you can't factor into is that supplying lectricity one day will be a lot easier than supplying petrol. Petrol is a very dangerous commodity that requires a capital outlay that is way beyond the abilities of the momand pop garages of the 1930's.

They all died in the 1960's when petrol comapnies started supplying petrol at discounted rates to fuel stations that could sell by the millions of gallons per annum.

A big problem for Big Oil is that electricity generators will run on thorium a cheap as dirt system that never runs out. I believe they are already moving the planet to prevent investment. But even so power stations can run on coal and do run on bunker oil.

When the Chinese start supplying Nuclear power-station construction crews Big Oil will wither on the vine; it has to, as electric cars can be filled up at any shed that wants the business.

Elon Musk has already considered the idea of replacement batteries for people who can afford them. The idea of slipping them out of one of his cars to be replaced by spare cells is a good one -for when the batteries can be made at silly throw away prices. But sadly, we will have thorium reactors by then (Not that I think it is sad that we will have such fail-safe nuclear reactors. I think it is a pity that the Republicans only kill Democrats. We all would have benefited by the assassination of tricky dicky.)

Elon Musk's name will fill history books the way Henry Ford's still does.