Posted to uk.d-i-y
Weatherlawyer Weatherlawyer is offline

Default Old Farm Engines

On Sunday, 1 May 2016 18:38:25 UTC+1, wrote:
On Sun, 1 May 2016 04:47:36 -0700 (PDT), Weatherlawyer
wrote:

Any idea how much horse power that old TVO represented?

Well now that we have all set off down to the good old days, batons in hand, how about soem throughput for the OP?

How much of a game changer was the 5 (or less) horsepower engine when they started to get a grip on farms?

Apparently the 5-Hp was quite a substantial motor, for its time.
Anyone have any real idea?

Something from the Victorian peasant's Space Age. How the Wright engine worked:

Small IC engines made a huge difference from the 1900's but especially
after so after WW1 but not in tractor form*. Firms such as Lister and
Stuart Turner made 1000's that powered pumps, generators,sawbenches,
milking machines and all sorts of other machinery a situation that was
still common well into the 1960's until the majority of farms had
access to mains electric under the post WW2 rural electrification
scheme. Some will no doubt still be in use in some really. remote
places .
* There were some home produced makes of two wheeled walk behind
tractors that now days are more associated with the so called third
world , Trusty was one well known make.
http://www.vhgmc.co.uk/survivors/tru...ctor-register/

Ah yes it is all coming back to me how the evolution of the council yard maintenance squad replaced its kit over the decades. And to think we didn't even see it coming, most of us.

I clearly remember thos reciprocating scythes on a bif trolly between a pair of motor cycle sized wheels. Odd nobody thought of the modern motor mower. it must have been one hell of a circumlocution to the present Briggs and Stratton throw-away.