Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ¬)[_4_] Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ¬)[_4_] is offline

Default Briggs & Stratton 'Champion 35' petrol mower. Has anyone servicedone?

On 26/04/2016 12:35, wrote:
Good day,
I have a Briggs & Stratton 'Champion 35' petrol mower. I bought it second hand, and it has always been hard to start. Now it's impossible to start! I downloaded the B&S owner's operating & Maintenance manual hoping to find some detailed instructions but there was little in there of any help.

What are some things I can check? I tried to remove the carb but it doesn't want to come completely free even with the screws removed. It seems to be catching on something. I was trying to get to the jets to see if they are blocked. I noticed that the rubber right-angled sleeve that joins two metal pipes at the carb is not very airtight, and nor is the joint between the carb and the engine. I can see the rubber O-ring in intact, but the joint still felt a bit loose when I jiggled it.

Any suggestions as to what I can try to get it to start? It's full of petrol and the air cleaner is A-OK.

Many thanks!

Woodruff Key that holds the fly-wheel in place.
They're made of a soft(ish) alloy and can become partially sheared
through rotor blade impact.
This throws out the timing with regards to peak voltage generation.

You'll need to make up a DIY flywheel puller with some steel plate with
holes drilled to align withthe holes on the flywheel which may require a
thread tapping into them if it's never been removed before.

Think I still have the puller I knocked up in my apprenticeship years.
If you need to see a picture I'll try and find it.

You can't get the flywheel off without one if the key is damaged and
typically the vast majority I ever had dealings with were.

It's a common fault and the B&S service kit had a replacement with the
points and condenser.

Mind you, it's 30 years ago since I was doing that stuff so I forgive
any errors in my advice.