Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Old Farm Engines

In article ,
jim k wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" Wrote in message:
In article ,
jim k wrote:
Think it's actually the other way round. Harry Ferguson designed the
engine later used by Standard Triumph. Of course it came in a variety of
sizes and power outputs.

Er no.

"Earlier versions used an imported American engine (the 1966cc
Continental Z-120) but once the 2088 cc unit being developed for
the Standard Vanguard car became available in September 1947 this
was fitted instead, exclusively so from July 1948."

Bit of a chicken and egg situation. But given Harry Ferguson designed
the engine, it would be safe to assume he intended it for both. But
the design - wet liners - was more what you'd expect for a commercial
unit than for a mid price car. Ie, designed to last rather longer than
was common for cars of the day.

But I don't recall ever seeing Ferguson credited with designing the
seperate body "Standard Motor Co"'s engine?

I'm talking about the engine which powered the Vanguard and subsequent
Triumph TRs.

--
*Laugh alone and the world thinks you're an idiot.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.