Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default lead free solder

In article , says...

On 30/04/2016 15:37, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I am in the US and just doing my own repairs and building.

Do I need to use any of the lead free solder to repair the boards that
were made usign the lead free solder?

I have not bought any yet and have been practicing witht he SMD on old
computer boards. That stuff seems a pain to work with compaired to the
'regular' tin/lead that I have been using for the last 50 years.

I have been thinking about getting some for the power transistors and
resistors where there is a lot of heat build up but not sure if that
application would even be worth the trouble.

If you are just doing repairs or mods to PbF stuff then use SAC (Tin
+Silver+Copper) solder, the cost would be prohibitive for complete new
build soldering.

As I would not use a pound every few years, the cost would not be a
problem for me. For the very small solder I doubt I would use a pound
of the lead free solder for the rest of my life.

As it is just for my own use at home I am not worried about the legal
Rohs part.

While the above seems like dumb questions, I find it is easier to ask
than spend all day looking for the answers.

I did see where some of the water clean up flux says that it can be left
on and some of it says it is safe for a few dys so I am going to stay
away from that. Reminds me of the old acid flux. May be ok to use if
cleaned off, but absolutly can not be left on if used. Even then I wold
never use it on anything but pumbing.