Posted to sci.electronics.repair
isw isw is offline

Default Desoldering 28 pin through hole IC

In article ,
bitrex wrote:

I have a piece of equipment that has a ROM chip in it which I'd like to
upgrade to a newer firmware revision.

I don't want to destroy the old EPROM by cutting the pins, but I'm
finding it very hard to desolder the 28-pin chip from the board using an
iron and solder sucker.

Is there a better way to do this?

Go ahead and cut the pins, but as close to the board as possible. Then
solder the "amputee" to a 28-pin header. You stand a far smaller chance
of damaging it that way, than if you try to get all the legs out at
once. Also much less chance of ripping the plating out of any of the
holes.

Isaac