Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Public Liability Insurance for working on our ex-council house

Hmm, I do recall that some time ago, I had public liability insurance added
to my house insurance so I was covered up to a couple of million for anyone
working in my property. I need cleaners, PA and Gardeners etc, It might be
worth asking the company you cover the house with about how much it costs if
it was to cover yourselves not just external persons coming in.
In my view everyone needs this sort of insurance as otherwise in a wind
somebody like the postman being hit on the head by a brick or tv aerial,
could sue the pants off you.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Simon Reveley" wrote in
message oups.com...
Hi all - we are replacing the kitchen in our house ourselves. My wife has
been
doing some training and apart from using an electrician for the wiring, we
intend to do it all ourselves. It's pretty much just new for old in the
same
layout.

The house is ex-council which means it's still council freehold/our
leasehold.
I spoke to them about the work and they said we need Public Liability
Insurance. I've had a look around but it all seems to be for
businesses/self-employed. Is there a way to get this insurance as a
private
individual?

Full council text - I spoke to the council about it and they seem happy
for us
to do the work as long as we have the paperwork:

Although you are replacing you kitchen like for like, the Council have a
duty
to oversee any alteration, structural or non structural, to ensure the
work is
carried out to a satisfactory standard. The Council are responsible for
safeguarding the building to ensure the safety of all residents.

Therefore, in order for me to consider your request further, please
provide
the following:

A specification of the proposed works including the material, design and
details of the contractor you propose to carry out this work
A method statement setting out how the contractors propose to carry out
the
works (i.e. times of work/ access requirements/ disposal of rubbish, etc.)
A copy of the builders Public Liability Insurance (min. £5,000,000)

Thanks in advance

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...u-1125290-.htm