Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thomas Prufer Thomas Prufer is offline

Default Briggs & Stratton 'Champion 35' petrol mower. Has anyone serviced one?

On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 09:36:32 +0100, Another John wrote:

Not, that is, unless I spray a
couple of bursts of "Sure Start" into the carb. Then it starts first
time, and always starts after that, once it's hot. (Another regular
mentioned that spraying gas from a blow torch (i.e. not lit, obviously!)
into the carb works just as well. It's a bit of a fiddle taking the
air filter off then screwing it back on before pulling the cord -- but I
know it works, so that's what I do.

I never have the time, nor the inclination, to take it apart and try and
diagnose the problem further: my aim is to cut grass, and this is the
quickest route to that goal.

An engineers solution to the problem.

Commendable.

But: why bother with taking the air filter off?

"Sure Start" in the air filter works, too. I sort of point it in an accessible
air hole in the air filter cover, give it a spray which presumably ends up that
foam thing, and done.

Thomas Prufer