Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Music streaming from TV etc

On 27/04/16 09:49, BobH wrote:
On 27/04/2016 07:44, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 00:17:55 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

I would like a wireless speaker , not bluetooth, to play music

from
either tv or amplifier.
I've looked at wifi dongles for my tv and other similar devices,

but
not sure if what I buy would do the job.

There are quite a few WiFi enabled speakers about... have a look at the
Sonos range for example.

Yes but I'm not sure they will work for this application. I think the
problem will be that TV (presumably that has the USB port for the
dongle) won't have any means of streaming live audio out over the
WiFi or serving files. TV's tend to be "clients" not "servers".

But again why wireless for the audio link? Any speaker worth its salt
is going to need a decent bit of power and there is the WiFi Rx etc
so that implies a cable. Unless you really want to get into changing
batteries.

I don't mind if it is a mains electric powered speaker as long as it
plays the music.
I have tried one or two different supposebly wireless speakers, but when
I play the music, which is on the tv from my nas drive, the sound only
comes out of the wired attached speakers.

Well generally there is a setup in the telly that says 'don't send the
sound to the internal speakers, send it to the phono sockets on the back
instead.

Josef Stalin