Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred[_8_] fred[_8_] is offline

Default Public Liability Insurance for working on our ex-council house

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 6:44:03 PM UTC+1, Simon Reveley wrote:
Hi all - we are replacing the kitchen in our house ourselves. My wife has been
doing some training and apart from using an electrician for the wiring, we
intend to do it all ourselves. It's pretty much just new for old in the same
layout.

The house is ex-council which means it's still council freehold/our leasehold.
I spoke to them about the work and they said we need Public Liability
Insurance. I've had a look around but it all seems to be for
businesses/self-employed. Is there a way to get this insurance as a private
individual?

Full council text - I spoke to the council about it and they seem happy for us
to do the work as long as we have the paperwork:

Although you are replacing you kitchen like for like, the Council have a duty
to oversee any alteration, structural or non structural, to ensure the work is
carried out to a satisfactory standard. The Council are responsible for
safeguarding the building to ensure the safety of all residents.

Therefore, in order for me to consider your request further, please provide
the following:

A specification of the proposed works including the material, design and
details of the contractor you propose to carry out this work
A method statement setting out how the contractors propose to carry out the
works (i.e. times of work/ access requirements/ disposal of rubbish, etc.)
A copy of the builders Public Liability Insurance (min. £5,000,000)

Thanks in advance

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...u-1125290-.htm

Your first mistake was telling the council.