BOB URZ

Default Repairing new TVs isn't easy

James Sweet wrote:

Ah, it all seems to be junk anymore. At least its still legal to work
on your own sets (even if its not practical to do it).
Try to work on your own car A/C or home HVAC. The government
seems to think Armageddon will happen if you work on your own.

As far as I know it is still legal, it's just illegal to release R-12 into
the air, and for a good reason. I did my own automotive AC, a pipe had
cracked and the R-12 long since leaked out, I replaced the pipe, all the
seals, expansion valve, reciever/dryer, changed the oil, flushed it out,
pumped it down then charged it with R-134a and it's worked fine ever since.

If you're unsure as to whether there's any remaining R-12, just take it to
an AC shop and have it evacuated, if there's any usable R-12 left they'll
even pay you for it.

A little yes and mostly no. Anything in a fixed home unit you have to have
an EPA 609(?) to be able to legally do anything. This includes even hooking
gauges up to it. Try to buy some R22. Without the Permit, in the US they will
not sell any to you. You can change the fan motor, just don't touch the gas.
But lost of appliance part houses won't sell you parts unless your a dealer
anyway.

In the MVAC world, you have to have a certification to buy r12 also.
And there are large fines if you vent refrigerant in either situation.
Yes, you can currently buy R134a without a permit, but its only a matter
of time before that's illegal also. Talk about a monopoly. All those people
that bought automotive R12 in small cans all those years must be dead or in
prison for their dastardly deeds.

Bob