Niel A. Farrow

Default Damp wall

In article ,
JK wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
JK wrote:

I'd say injection is the way to go frankly. My previous house was
rotten
with damp, some of which was rising. Where it had been injected it did
actually solbve th eproblem (suffolk clay)...sadly hu=ge areas on
internal walls and in partucular the fireplace couldn't be injected,
and
that was where the rot was the worst, and the effloresence..

Well I guess I could try injection first. Tell me, is it possible to inject
on the inside? The lowest point on the outside would be around the top of
the skirting board on the inside, so I'm guessing I'd still have a proble.
Of course that problem would perhaps be behind the skirting so out of
sight...

And there-in lies your problem. You may be avble to get rid of your damp
by lowering the outside gound level to prevent rain from splashing up te
walls. I've done this for my house where the old slate damp proof course
was only a few inches above the outside ground level.

1 Cut back the concrete path 6" from the wall
2 dug out some soil and replaced with pea shingle.
3 ground now 6-8" below dpc

The inside floor level was above the damp course so when replacing the
tile on mud floors the damp proof membrane was looped down below the dpc
and then up to the level between the sand and polystyrene insulation.

There's a lot of discussion about whether injected DPCs work and whether
it's better to spend time changing ground levels etc. Obviously make sure
that gutter leaks etc. aren't causing the damp. And check to see if you
already have a DPC. My house it 150 years old and has a slate one,
although it took a while to find it.

Search googlegroups for past postings on DPCs.

Neil