Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_5_] Tim+[_5_] is offline

Default Briggs & Stratton 'Champion 35' petrol mower. Has anyoneserviced one?

wrote:
Good day,
I have a Briggs & Stratton 'Champion 35' petrol mower. I bought it second
hand, and it has always been hard to start. Now it's impossible to start!
I downloaded the B&S owner's operating & Maintenance manual hoping to
find some detailed instructions but there was little in there of any help.

What are some things I can check? I tried to remove the carb but it
doesn't want to come completely free even with the screws removed. It
seems to be catching on something. I was trying to get to the jets to see
if they are blocked. I noticed that the rubber right-angled sleeve that
joins two metal pipes at the carb is not very airtight, and nor is the
joint between the carb and the engine. I can see the rubber O-ring in
intact, but the joint still felt a bit loose when I jiggled it.

Any suggestions as to what I can try to get it to start? It's full of
petrol and the air cleaner is A-OK.

Many thanks!

Al

Fixing the carb securely to the engine seems the obvious first port of
call. Any air leak here will weaken the mixture which will make cold
starting very hard.

Lots of other things in *could* be, but you're going to have to fix this
anyway so get it sorted.

Tim

Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile