Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Macaw Mr Macaw is offline

Default Peripheral vision in cats and humans

On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 02:37:55 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Mr Macaw" wrote in message news
On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 22:48:10 +0100, michael adams
wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Mr Macaw wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Mr Macaw wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Mr Macaw wrote

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4097761.html

"cats have a visual field that spans a whopping 200 degrees, as
compared to 180
degrees in humans"

I disagree with this. Firstly, I tested my own vision and I have
220 degrees.

Yeah, mine is much wider than most peoples' too.

You mean my 220 degrees is odd?

Just that its unusual for humans.

Meanwhile, back in the real world...

"The visual field of the human eye spans approximately 120 degrees of
arc.
However, most of that arc is peripheral vision. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vision_span

Wikipedia contradicts itself in another article:

No, the difference is whether you are talking about one or two eyes.

No, with one eye it says 100-110 degrees outwards and 60 degrees towards the nose. That makes 160-170 degrees.

Anyway, we were discussing sight, not sight with one eye shut. We were discussing how far round you can see an object when looking straight ahead.

_________________
Field of view:

The approximate field of view of an individual human eye (measured from
the fixation point, i.e., the point at which one's gaze is directed) is
60° superior (up), 60° nasal (towards the nose), 70-75° inferior (down),
and 100-110° temporal (away from the nose and towards the temple).

****For both eyes the combined visual field is 130-135° vertical and 200°
horizontal.****

So 200, not 120.

--
Bad command or file name! Go stand in the corner.