WEBPA

Default Hitachi Hi8 camcorder tracking adjustment

I've got a Hitachi Hi8 camcorder model VM-H720A. I was trying to play a
tape recorded several years ago but it seems to plays like the tracking is
out of whack, i.e. static horizontal bars and no sound. I tried playing
this same tape on another Hi8 machine and it worked fine.

From your description, the camcorder in question has a mechanical tape path
problem. That is: A tape guide or something that establishes the tape's path is
loose, bent, or broken. This makes it impossible for tapes recorded long ago,
presumably when the machine was in proper adjustment, from tracking properly.
Tapes recorded recently (with the tracks in non-standard positions) on the
problem machine will play fine on the problem machine...but probably not well
on any other machine (try it).

In other words: There is no "tracking adjustment" as you understand it that
will have a positive effect on your problem.

webpa