Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Macaw Mr Macaw is offline

Default Peripheral vision in cats and humans

On Mon, 25 Apr 2016 22:41:53 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Mr Macaw wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Mr Macaw wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Mr Macaw wrote

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4097761.html

"cats have a visual field that spans a whopping 200 degrees, as
compared to 180 degrees in humans"

I disagree with this. Firstly, I tested my own vision and I have 220
degrees.

Yeah, mine is much wider than most peoples' too.

You mean my 220 degrees is odd?

Just that its unusual for humans.

I seem to remember my classmates when I was at school were all quite
similar.

Either you stuffed that measurement
up

Simple experiment. A hula hoop around your head, with a coloured bead slid slowly round it, while you stare straight ahead. You shout out the colour when you see it.

or you're remembering it wrong.

I wouldn't forget that it was just over right angles.

No wonder people don't see people coming when they drive.

You dont need 220 degrees to do that.

You dont even need 180 degrees.

If you don't have 180 degrees, you have to turn your head or move your
eyes all the time.

Most do that when coming up to an intersection.

I do too.

Yes, but peripheral vision means you see things you weren't looking for.

With 220 degrees, you see people to the side of your that you aren't
looking for, and you can effectively look both ways at once at a junction.

I dont know anyone who doesnt move their head or their
eyes when coming up to an intersection, including me.

Because you get better vision with the central part. Peripheral vision will tell you something is moving, but probably not how fast and what direction.

Secondly, I always find my cats looking straight at me or whatever
they want to examine, they don't seem to be able to see sideways,

That's a different question. I look directly at what
I want to focus on, but that doesnt mean that I
dont notice movement out of the corner of my eyes.

But I don't find myself staring continuously at the cat.

That may just be an evolutionary thing, works
better when catching rodents and insects etc.

It wasn't trying to eat me.

Sure, but that evolutionary behaviour may well apply to
anything it is concentrating on, not just what its about to
eat. You get the same thing with laser pointers or even
with something inedible on the end of a bit of string etc.

One of my cats does it forever. The rest will look away if I stare back for more than 5 seconds.

Once I've examined it, I don't need to keep watching it if it's not
doing anything.

These cats dont do that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIeP...ature=youtu.be

They're either staring at each other or the camera.

They are looking at more than just those two things.

I only flipped through it quickly, but I only saw two things.

and the other day I walked over to one cat, I was 90 degrees from his
forward direction, and he didn't see me until I touched him to stroke
him, which scared the hell out of him.

Yeah, that's a much better test of that field of vision question.

Bur its likely that some cats have a form of tunnel
vision too. We know that young kids to, that's why
they can get run over when crossing the road.

I don't believe you.

Doesnt matter what you believe, that's been established
with rigorous science for a long time now. Trivial to test.

Utter bull****.

Fact.

"Newborn babies have peripheral vision" -
http://www.aao.org/eye-health/tips-p...on-development

Irrelevant to whether younger kids have a narrower field of view than when
they get older.

"Overall there was little evidence to support the hypothesis that children
have poorer peripheral vision than adults relative to their foveal
vision." - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3801789

Pity about the other studys that show they do have.

"Generally, if a baby

We aren't talking about babys.

is not tracking motion across their full range of vision by 3 months of
age, parents should consult their pediatrician."

That has nothing to do with why kids get run over.

- http://everydaylife.globalpost.com/p...rs-44127..html

Basically kids that don't use their peripheral vision are just plain
stupid. Their eyes work as well as ours.

Wrong with peripheral vision.

From personal experience of myself and school chums, it's the same in kids as adults. And the links I read show it's more a lack on concentration than sight.

They have the same vision, they just don't pay attention and are
preoccupied with things they consider more important.

Wrong.

I've been a child, I remember being able to see sideways.

Doesnt mean that you always had the same
amount of peripheral vision when a young child.

Yip, it was measured.

I remember us testing our eyesight in primary school for a game/lesson,
and it was similar then.

Then you didnt do it properly then.

Yes we did.

You clearly didnt if you concluded that all kids
have the same peripheral vision. They dont.

Similar. To within about 20 degrees per side. Everybody saw 180, some more.

What are your experiences of cats vision

I dont remember actually testing that with any of the cats
I had and I dont currently have any cats that I can test.

Not easy to persuade a cat to look at something else while you're doing
something interesting.

These cats didnt need any persuading.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIeP...ature=youtu.be

I guess if one person distracted it maybe, but then you wouldn't know if
it saw the second person to the side. You'd need something it wanted to
look at, then something even more exciting than that like it's favourite
treat.

With the neighbours' cats that love my jungle, they
normally dont look at me when I show up, they
mostly look where they are going while leaving.

Is that because you've just yelled at them?

Nope, I never yell at them in that situation.

The only cat I yell at is the ****er that insists on doing
a flying leap from the ground onto half way up my
****ing fly screen and then hanging onto the ****ing
fly screen with its claws in summer when its trying to
catch the moths.

Electrify the sunscreen. Unless you like the moths. Mind you if you separated the high and low voltages enough, only a large animal like a cat would get a shock.

--
Sex drive: a physical craving that begins in adolescence and ends at marriage.