Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default HELP - Atlantic Suitcase Screw Removal

On Monday, April 25, 2016 at 12:44:05 PM UTC-4, Charlie17T wrote:
replying to Tom Williams, Charlie17T wrote:

I dont' think you have phillips screws

I don't think you know how to read dates on threads

but rather rivits that are either
peaned over, or have a lock mechanism on the inside. You can either drill
them out, or pull off the self locking washer on the inside, and then take the
pieces to Lowes or Home depot to get stainless steel screw, nut and lock
washer to put back together. If you are having to replace the wheel, and
have access to the inside of the wheel well where the wheel shaft goes through
the corner wheel housing, I would strong advise that you purchase a few fluid
ounces of high strength two part epoxy, mix it up, and pour into the wheel
well to create a more solid support housing. This will depend on the type of
corner wheel well you have, and if the shaft is fixed and not rotating. I
re=engineered my wheels with all staineless steel screws, new nylong roller
blade wheels with low friction ball bearing, and used a stainless steel bolt
as the new shaft. I had to design a temporary shaft tube, that could be used
to keep the epoxy from leaking out of the hole where I put the new stainelss
steel bolt. One I poured the epoxy into the wheel well, put the new
stainless steel wheel shaft in place along with the new roller, the result was
an extremely strong roller bearing system, much better than the original
design. The original design of the wheel is not so good... as I'd had wheel
failures on both over time... so I redesigned the system after understanding
the weakness in the design. Once complete the result was an extremley strong
set of wheel that will not break apart since you have the added strong epoxy
plastic that replaces the thin housing material, without the solld inside
material for support. If you can see my email shoot me a note and I'll send
pics.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...al-712577-.htm