Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default looking for a decent plywood for a crawlspace "floor"

On Monday, April 25, 2016 at 12:01:33 PM UTC-4, Fredd Wright wrote:
On Monday, April 25, 2016 at 10:47:59 AM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 04/25/2016 9:09 AM, Fredd Wright wrote:

I'm in NJ. 1' square pavers (or "step stones") are about $1.56 each.
Not out of the question. visqueen will add about $100. What does
the plastic do? What would be the downside if i just decided to
level the ground and put pavers right on top of it? Do you put
anything between the pavers in the cracks (i.e. like grout in
bathroom tiles)?

As other said you don't "need" the vapor barrier but it would certainly
cut down on the humidity thus keeping anything stored there less likely
to suffer severe rusting or the like.

OTOH, if it really does flood and you're not going to prevent that from
happening, it'd be a huge detriment afterwards as there wouldn't be
anywhere for the water to go down through to be (eventually) absorbed
back into the ground so in that case I'd definitely strongly recommend
_against_ it and the plywood or any other wood solution. While PT is
certainly better with respect to sustaining water and termite/other
pests damage than non, if it's going to be inundated from time to time
it just isn't suitable material for the long haul.

The pavers seem just the ticket; here they're generally available at
cut-rate prices from the Waly-World or other BORGs "garden" sections
late in spring after the frenzy has worn off and they're getting rid of
remaining stock plus they'll often just let one have broken ones for the
effort of getting them off their hands. I picked up a bunch of 1-1/2"
12x24 that were nothing worse than being two halves that way last year
for some fill-in in an area in the barn where had never gotten around to
finishing pouring a floor--work perfectly fine and who cares about a
crack for such a purpose; they're not in a show area...

--

Interesting point about the flooding. Although the crawl space is about 3 feet above the basement floor, when we get a hurricane, the basement fills up to right below the ceiling so the crawlspace will be underwater. However, when the water level goes down, it will pour out of the crawlspace onto the floor where the sump pump will pump the water out so i think it's a moot point if the water can't drain under the pavers.

Fredd, please stop leaking out details piecemeal.

Why not give us the dimensions and any other pertinent details so we know what
question we are actually trying to answer?

Pictures are good too.